Friday, December 21, 2007

Breakfast Potluck in a Crock Pot

I needed a post so that I can refer the potluck dish I made for work to the people who have been asking for it. I was sort of loose and fast with the process, but here we go:

For a FULL crock pot (sizeable - 4-5 quarts):
  • 2-3 pounds of tater tots
  • A pound of chopped ham - I think sausage or bacon would also work, although tater tots provide a lot of grease, so you might have to be careful in your experimenting (or thorough at drying the grease off the meat)
  • A green pepper - you can chop it or mince it - I preferred mine minced
  • A big onion - you can chop it or mince it - I preferred mine minced
  • 1.5-2+ cups of shredded cheddar
  • 8-10 eggs mixed with a cup of milk
In the big crock pot put down enough tater tots to cover the floor of the pot, and then layer in ham, pepper+onion and cheese. Layer it several times (i.e. about three), and then pour in the eggs+milk. Takes between 4-6 hours to cook on low. I started it at 11:00 p.m. and it was perfect at 6:00 a.m., so overnight works fine.

I did experiment with a 2/3 crock pot first. You can just do fewer layers. Use less tater tots and cheese, but the same amount of ham and onion and pepper as in the big pot. Top with six eggs mixed into a half cup of milk. Took about four hours on low.

Absolutely best served fresh unless you like overcooked cheese.

No comments: