Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Jewish Experience?

In honor of Blogger now being available in Hebrew, I offer up the following two trailers I noticed on Timo's Movie Trailers via Miro yesterday. I can't really say they're deserving of comparison - but they made for a surreal pair, one following the other on my player. I have to say I wish Emmanuelle Chriqui would have chosen a better project. I hope it wasn't her Moroccan Jewish heritage that drew her to Zohan. I'm more impressed with her IFC project with Baron Davis (just the intro clip) which involved him doing a 70's style roller skater/boom box routine on an urban basketball court.

Tailer 1, Beaufort - "Winner for Best Director at the 2007 Berlin Film Festival, BEAUFORT chronicles the final days of an Israeli army unit’s tense, painful withdrawal from a strategic 12th century fortress near the Lebanese border in 2000, marking the end of nearly two decades of controversial occupation. Based on a true story, director Joseph Cedar confronts the difficult questions raised by Israel’s military strategy in Lebanon but also, more broadly, the sacrifices of young soldiers and the futility of war."

Tailer 2, You Don't Mess With The Zohan. The only synopsis I can find states, "Sandler stars as Zohan, an Israeli commando who fakes his own death in order to pursue his dream: becoming a hairstylist in New York." So I've appended the first few lines from the trailer below.
He is the greatest Israeli soldier the world has ever known. His training is lethal. And his skills are legendary.

Father(?): "You are like Rembrandt with a grenade."

But it was time for a change.

Zohan: "I wanted to leave the army. I love my country, but the fighting, when does it end?"

Mother: "We've been fighting for 2000 years. It can't be much longer. What will you do?"

Zohan:"I want to...cut...and style...hair."

No comments: